Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Good Advice Taken


I've received several words of wisdom and little pieces of advice since my little guy was born. But the best piece of advice I have received came from Christine. In a conversation a couple of weeks ago she told me to cherish every moment. Then she told me about an experience she had recently and how it might have been the last time any of her children will wake her up in the middle of the night for a bad dream and how much she will miss those days. So I've been thinking lately about how I can really cherish every moment with Brody now. Well the other morning Brody was starting to get fussy as a result of his reflux. He really has a hard time getting comfortable sleeping on his back these days. He had been sleeping off and on for about an hour and now he was starting to whimper and cry. I picked him up to cuddle him and help him get comfortable again. As he fell asleep in my arms I had the option to lay him back in his crib so I could do somethings around the house or just hold him for awhile so he could really rest. With Christine's advice ringing in my ears, I sat down on the bed and snuggled with my little boy. It didn't take long for him to fall into a deep, peaceful sleep wrapped in his mother's love, and he slept for about two hours. While I sat there staring at my little boy I couldn't help but think of what a blessing it is to stay home with him. How lucky I am to be able to take of my son every minute of the day. I thought of the many times my mom took care of me over the years. (Thanks Mom!) How I loved having Vicks rubbed on my chest when I had a cold or sore throat, and I wondered if Brody would like the smell of Vicks. I dreamt about all the times I would get to tend to my sick little boy over the next several years. And I couldn't help but think of how someday my son would be miles and miles away serving a mission, or away at college, or even married with his own children and how I wouldn't be able to take care of him then. And I was so glad that at that moment I had nothing more pressing than sitting on the bed with my little baby and letting him know that his mother cared. And I cherished every minute of it!


4 comments:

MaudieV said...

What a beautiful post. Enjoy every minute of it and don't forget to kiss and thank the man who makes it possible for you to enjoy every minute.

SL&G said...

Oh what a sweet post. Sometimes its hard to enjoy the moments when Gregory is pulling every dish out of the cupboard but I will try.

The Lovinger's said...

Ari, that was so fun to read. I will definitely keep that in mind as Cameron and I prepare to have our own kids. Thanks for the thought!

Rebecca Hunt said...

Thank you for this post. Even without kids yet it's important to cherish every moment with everyone important to you. I think you would like Elder Uckdorf's talk called, "Finding Joy in the Journey". I read it last week and it kind of talks about this. Again, thank you for the post. You are a wonderful mom and a great example to me.